Monday, October 3, 2011

Second Post

Hello all,
I haven't really done much interesting things today like falling down cliffs and such, but I'll just write about school and my thoughts on it. Biggest difference between school here and school in America is that here, there is a school uniform in 95% of all schools. I am enrolled in one of them :( . The school uniform consists of uncomfortable shorts, a button up light blue shirt, and long knee high wool socks. Optionally you can wear sandals and no socks. They claim there is uniform to "not make additional distractions from learning." If you are like me and you come from America where the education is strong, you would laugh at that joke. In this country most teachers don't get payed enough to do more than just teach from a textbook and write stuff on the board. In America teachers interact and ask questions to check how well students know the subject; here they just check the homework and have no real way of checking if you just copied the answers from the back of the book.

I'm currently taking a two part math test to try to get into the year 10 IGCSE mathematics program, which is a year ahead of the normal math course, which teaches IGCSE in year 11. I took one part of the test today, and it was not especially hard, but took a long time to do and all the people taking the test got through around halfway. On Wednesday, after tomorrow, I will be taking the second part of the test, and i will be trying a different strategy to get more of the questions finished I will try to find and do the easy questions first, and then solve the harder ones to get more potential marks. If I pass this test, in year 13 I will be doing scholarship courses to save money on university courses.

I don't see any pictures up here, so I might as well just post one.
This is a picture of my crappy 5$ phone which I bought in America. I did a bit of custom work on the back, as you can see it has some indentations to provide a nicer grip, and i polished the plastic to make it shiny instead of dull black. It'd not fully finished as i will need to get rid of some scratches and polish up some bad areas, but it is 80% complete. I think that plastic is better than glass, for its strength, lightness, durability, and ease of repair. if you get a scratch on plastic you just sand it off then buff it with a buffer wheel, but on glass you have to buy a new pane.

Well that's it for now, ill post some more pictures tomorrow if the weather clears up it has been raining the last three days.

No comments:

Post a Comment